I knew the day would come when the novelty of living in Lebanon would begin to wear off…Alas it has arrived..Please, all of you, help me out! Please suggest some new things I should do!
So far, these are on my list:
• Visit the spectacular Jeita caverns, around 20km (13 miles) north of Beirut. On two levels, the lower gallery includes an underground waterway which can be visited by boat.
• Shop at the old souks (covered markets) in Tripoli, a town famous for its sweets and traditional olive oil-based soap.
• Discover the archaeological sites of Tyre. Area one contains ruins of the large district of civic buildings, public baths and mosaic streets, whilst area two has an extensive network of Romano-Byzantine roads. Area three contains one of the largest Roman hippodromes ever found.
• Visit the courtyard and state rooms of Beiteddine, in the Chouf Mountains, which is the site of the palace built by the Amir Basheer in the 19th century.
• Visit the Roman temples of Baalbeck (I know I know, I still haven’t done this!)
Any other suggestions?